Whew! Again this week is going by in a blur. I just wanted to blog about other "special" events happening this week, with Fuz kicking it off on Monday when he got a chance to visit 19 screaming first graders standing around him in a circle out on the playground Monday. Since we literally live a minute/mile down the road, Bryan took the afternoon off (for my dr. appt) and brought Fuz by on request from many students. They had a great time with him but Fuz was scared out of his mind and did not show any interest in leaving the apt again the rest of the night (usually he is tail-end out the door before we even have a chance to step in).
Last night after work I had my fourth session of Financial Peace University with Dave Ramsey and I am EXCITED to begin something called the "Debt Snowball" where supposedly we can pay down a good chunk of our debt in 18-24 months. I hope it works! I was also fascinated to find out in a neurological study at some university, people registered more pain with using cash to make purchases (actual, physical pain as percieved in the brain) rather than credit or debit cards. McDonalds also found that before accepting plastic, people were more apt to spend less (about $4) However, when people began using plastic, the average amount they spent jumped to $7. Even though I am good about paying my balance in full each month, I guess this is a good reason to pitch the plastic and employ the envelope system. And a history lesson for you: J.C. Penney is named after a John or James "Cents" Penney (JC Penney) who was a cheapskate and refused to offer credit cards in his store while he was alive. Ford Motor corp. also refused to give out car loans for a full 10 years after GM started. It is amazing to look back in history and see how comfortable we have become with credit and charging our purchases. It is sad to look back over my own personal history and know how intimate I have recently become with those taking up room in my wallet.
If you want more useless information (as Bryan would call it), only 3 out of 1000 people supposedly have what I was diagnosed this week with. However, a lot of people I talked with following this incident have expressed concern with their own fluttering hearts. I would say I probably know 1000 people, and only one other person confirmed who has had this, so the other person COULD BE YOU! I guess the lesson learned is this: don't keep anything from your doctor. And if your doctor just poo-poos it, get another doctor!!! Im so glad I have a doctor who would much rather order tests for any concerns I have rather than write another prescription. Speaking of medical trauma, my mother in law came home from the hospital tonight (5 days after a supposed day surgery) and I found out my mom is going in for surgery next week to repair a bulging disc in her back. I also scheduled my procedure for April 11 and have my substitute in place. Hopefully, this will be the last trip to the hospital for us all. ENOUGH ALREADY!
I have blogged before about the family of one of my most favorite students (who also happens to be one of my biggest problems). They are the sweetest family and the parents are always so positive and appreciative and outgoing, despite having the worst luck of anyone I know. After the bank foreclosed on the house, stuff was stolen, he lost work lined up in his personal business, they had to sell a car and do major repairs on the other, and the girls almost had to quit school, NOW he is having major back pain and vomiting and almost had a stroke due to stress-induced high blood pressure. After hearing the latest of their battles, I said to her "I can't believe what God is doing here. He is putting you through major trials and tribulations. When will it end?" To which she replied, "Yes, but now (husband's) faith is stronger than ever". It struck me how they have been kicked into the ground over and over and over and they are still happy and growing spiritually. Even last week as I watched them try to open their locked car through my window (the keys were inside the car) I was touched to see that even though they were clearly irritated, they could still make jokes and smile about it later (after Bryan came and unlocked the door). I guess this is another lesson I can take home. Lately I have been feeling my luck going south, but it can always, always be worse and it is so important to just stay positive and have faith.
Well, I better get to bed. Oh, tonight I got my hair done (LIZ). It is short, cropped in an "A-Line" fashion with layers and bright blonde and vibrant red highlights weaved in chunks, with dark brown underneath. Sounds interesting and it is definately bold. I am tired now but will hopefully wash out a little bit of the "brightness" tomorrow. I really like it , though, and my friend Melissa did a really good job.
Happy Hump Day! :-)
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I want to see the hair, pictures? We need to get together soon my dear, I am missing you and thinking about you? When you get back from Texas plan on a Liz and Michelle day please!!!
Post a Comment