Saturday, March 29, 2008

Adventures in San Antonio Part Dos

Overall, the trip was a nice mix of relaxation and doing "nothing," which meant just playing, reading during naptimes or doing odd favors around my sister's house, as well as a good portion of touristy stuff. Most of the touristy stuff was centered around food, which is just the way I like it:-). On Tuesday, we visited WalMart and the parking lot of Babies R Us (Naomi had to run in quickly while I tried to console the cutest screaming baby ever :-)). Walmart was extra exciting for me because we do not have easy access to any of those here, and I enjoyed nice low prices on earphones for the trip home, and Lauren's birthday gift. I am not sure, but I think we hosted a play date in the afternoon?! (Many an afternoons were spent sitting on the deck in the backyard, watching the kids play.) I also got to see where Ava goes to preschool and where Lauren has a Little Gym class. Seeing both girls at each was super cute and made me a little sad that it will be even harder now to watch them grow up. Both Wednesday and Thursday, Naomi took me to couple cool places unique to Texas for lunch.

One was a barn-turned-burger joint with a back pasture for the kids to run and play, and the other was a BBQ rib place that was adjoined to a gas station and general store that was cafeteria-style seating. Both places were delicious and a great atmosphere to sit back and kick it. I also worked on my first sunburn of the year as the girls played with other kids outside the restaurant. Naomi also showed me a really nice outdoor shopping mall, Fiesta Texas (which is Six Flags), another park near an exclusive neighborhood where I was hoping to see one of my favorite celebrities...Eva Longoria and her San Antonio Spur husband Tony Parker. But no...the closest I got to celebrity status was seeing Lance Armstrong's tour bus get on the freeway we were driving on. :-(

I also was really happy to do my sister and her husband the favor of getting them out of the house for an evening alone together. With AJ's help, I could put the other two girls to bed fairly easily (oh, I am forgetting the extra candy bribe I gave Ava) and Naomi and Alex came back to a quiet house of sleeping kids (kids really do enjoy making bedtime routines tougher for their parents). After they got home, we watched "No Country for Old Men" which I still have mixed feelings and questions about. I may have to watch it again with Bryan. But after that night, I did not sleep with the blinds open on the door out to the balcony that night for fear of seeing a crazy looking guy with a bone sticking out of his arm.

Even though I missed Bryan and wished he could see all of this with me, I did not miss sharing a bed. It was SOOOO nice to stretch out again like in my premarital days. I slept the best I have slept in a long time...even after waking up to a preschooler and toddler who want to climb in and watch morning cartoons at 7 am.

The last day of this very fast week was spent at Sea World, which is just so cool. I really enjoyed watching two shows, in which the dolphins and/or whales were integrated into performances of acrobats and other characters. Shamu is just huge and I cannot wait to see my pictures (yes, I still take pictures the old fashioned way! Although, I missed having a digital screen to use while trying to capture a pic of the whales in the air). We also fed dolphins fish, played in a playground and ate snow cones and icecream. When we got home, Alex finished off the day with his signature BBQ steak for dinner that we always enjoy when we visit.

Some things I noticed about San Antonio are as follows: People are super friendly. The city is big but it has an older, small town feel to it and the citizens take pride in this (There is especially a lot of military pride). There is A LOT of stuff for families to do (especially Sea World!! That is the best of all). It is humid and sticky and I can out-sweat anyone there by far, including my sister who has only lived there six months. But housing is cheap so I would still reccommend it! I cannot wait to go back (aside from the plane trip...though it was way better coming back...I actually slept, watched tv and movies with my new earphones, and used a bathroom for the very first time...and NO puke though I was ready with two bags marked for "motion sickness and refuse.")

So a million thanks again, Naomi, for having me!!! This was a great vacation and maybe we can all do Christmas there ?!?! ;-) Just don't forget to pour the coffee.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Sounds like you had a very relaxing time and a blast. Can't wait to hear more about it. Get together soon?