Tonight we bit the bullet and bought Bryan a commuter car to get him to and from work in the months that it will take him to fix the bottom end of his motor in his CRX, which will no longer be street legal by the time he finishes it (if there is such a thing as ever "finishing" a car with him)and so he would need another car anyways. In case you cannot tell, it is a 4 door 1994 Honda Civic that we bought for nearly half its blue book value and we are not really sure why...other than God blessed us greatly! The body is mostly straight and it runs great with newer parts on it so as far as we know we got a good deal. Though we no longer have an "emergency fund" (though you might argue that needing a car was an emergency) it feels good to pay cash for a car. We might try it more often! Now, we will also be more diligent about saving that money back up and hopefully then some. The deal for the car is as follows: Bryan is not to "fix it up" in any way except normal maintenance. For the next few months, all his extra income from working longer hours will go to paying off bills and then in the spring he can refocus on building up the CRX again (which is also a black Honda...like our other two!). This part of the deal is what gets me excited. Plus, he will finally have a car that I can drive if I need to!
Speaking of driving, last week I had my first "run-in" with a student who goes to my school on the road. Since I work in a K-12 school, I interact with high schoolers in the hall on a daily basis. Last week when I left right after school for my doctor appt I was tailgated and very aggressively and speedily passed by a girl student who drives elementary aged kids home from school. She didn't know it was me until she passed me and I am still not even sure she knew it was me though I very obviously stared her down (and her younger siblings/cousins know me). I told my co-teacher about it the next day, since we have all had our eye on her since she was given a car the second she turned 16 and this incident was reported to the dean of students who conferenced with her parents over it. Now their older brother comes and picks all of them up and I feel somewhat guilty. But at the same time, I thnk it was very important for the parents to know this was going on, and it is better to learn this way than the hard way. And now I believe more than ever that the legal driving age should be raised... However, I now fear I will have spit wads thrown at my head when I pass the older kids in the hall. Oh well, I guess it is better than a wrecked bumper...
One more thought I had today regarding public embarassments and accidents: When is it appropriate to notify a complete stranger that their underwear is showing? Like a bra that is sticking out above the back line of a dress? Or, like I saw at the Outlet stores on Saturday, a girl who had the front of her skirt stuck up in her underwear, which she was proudly yet inadvertantly displaying to the outside mall and adjacent parking lot? I made a very obvious show of catching her eye and looking down at her legs but she did not notice this or the breeze I am almost positive she would be sure to have felt! This thought and question was all sparked today by a very unexpected misfortune of my own which could have resulted in the need for a wardrobe change had I waited any longer to catch it. Luckily, it was the end of the day and the kids had all gone home. But then again, kids are the most forgiving.
Now school is over for the week and we are headed downtown tomorrow and Friday for a teacher convention. When DID it become October, anyways? It absolutely boggles my mind when I think back to the week that Mom and I spent getting my room ready for the new year and that was already well over a month ago! Geesh....if this is any indication, Christmas will be here before we know it!
2 comments:
Your somewhat shy mother told a gal at the gym Tues. that she had a 2in rip in her shorts in the back. She was very thankful I told her. And once I had to tell a Dr. to check his zipper before he went in a room to see a pt. His shirt tail was sticking out thru the zipper and we knew he would be humiliated if he didn't correct the problem. He was VERY thankful for the info. But yea, you always wonder how people will take it. I would be thankful but I suppose not everyone would be. And I agree, you did the right thing about reporting that gal's driving. How would you feel if she had had an accident? Good going girl!
Michelle - love your blog! are you still going to Westport?
Post a Comment