Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Traffic sucks.

Today in our early morning staff meeting we were discussing a book called "Letters from a Skeptic" by an author whose name escapes me at the moment. It is a collection of letters between a father (non-believer) and son (apologetics speaker, or speaker who defends his faith). One of the father's arguments was why does God allow bad stuff to happen? It was essentially decided that since Adam and Eve in the garden and the fall of man, God has given us the freedom to make our own choices, making us morally responsible to do good or do harm. If God would consistently intervene, this would trump our freedom, like a father giving his child an allowance and then telling him or her what to buy and not buy. Additionally, oftentimes when bad things happen a spiritual revival occurs, which God uses to bring us back to Him, such as the increase in church attendance following 9-11.

All this to say, I have recently engaged in a conversation over e-mail with the father of one of my students who nearly died last year in a terrible traffic accident too gruesome and detailed to describe here (five months later he is still recovering after suffering injuries that should have been deadly). I convinced him to speak to the high school students in Chapel when he comes to visit in three weeks (he is rehabilitating in California at the moment). Remember my blog about the student who almost ran me over in my car a few weeks ago? I think his story, which he so powerfully wrote to me (including pictures) will scare the pants off of these kids. Lately, there has also been many accidents in the community in which people have died (two fatalities this week). What gets me is his optimism (even to the point of joking about it) and complete shift from doubtful "believer" to totally convinced believer and lover of God. His story of sitting by the curb watching the accident happen and feeling someone touching his shoulders and speaking to him from behind convinces me even more that angels exist. Needless to say, I am very excited about meeting this man and helping him set up a presentation where he will present the truth about reckless driving and the powerful truth about God's great love and mercy.

So Naomi, your timing also sucks and mom totally scared me tonight when she told me about your accident. Sorry to hear about that- I am so glad you and A.J. are both okay, though. But as we have learned here, all things happen for a reason and a purpose...so thankful it was not worse, though.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Good for you! The story sounds amazing, and I am glad that it will be shared and scared for others.

Nana said...

All of this is very scary stuff and esp. since it just happened in our family altho on a smaller scale. We are SO thankful Naomi and AJ are OK. Cars can be replaced-they are just objects we have for our use. I think it will be good for high school kids to hear this guys story. I wonder if he has read the book "90 minutes in Heaven". That book scared me cause it was similar to our accident in 1973. Good book and I highly recommend it. So today, thank the good Lord you got to where you were going safely and pray before you set out in the car again!!