Sunday, June 1, 2008

"Trendy"

This is the word to describe my weekend, NOT myself. I felt as though I was pretending to be trendy, all the while realizing how much I am not, and how I feel much more comfortable being "not trendy" though I enjoy being in the "trendy" atmosphere. On Friday night, my friend from work and I went out to eat at a new trendy restaurant called Coyote, which reminds me of the movie Coyote Ugly though it was much more than a bar and obviously much more trendier. Then we came home and watched a boxed dvd set of an old trendy tv show that has recently been produced into a movie currently in theaters (I am ashamed to admit the name, thus being more comfortable being not trendy.) On Saturday, I went to a piano recital with trendy people and went shopping in the garden and bathing suit section of a local store, picking out trendy items for my (trendy?) sister and I. Then last night another friend and kids and Bryan and I went downtown to the Starlight parade. I am having trouble calling this trendy, as the ride on Max produced many uncomfortable moments with a (I believe) homosexual male who was a stranger and still thought it appropriate to place his hand on my hip. The train was packed and Bryan was (luckily) far enough away as to not punch the guy. Then this morning, the same friend and kids and I tried out a new church which was the epitome of trendy. It is mostly made up of a twenty-something crowd, of which many were dressed to the nines and I have a hard time accepting the idea that people who are that dressed up are really doing it all for Jesus...but, to each his own. This church gets great reviews and we will probably go back again next week, this time to an evening service so Bryan can attend. And oh yeah, this church is HUGE. The rest of the afternoon I have been making plants and cards for gifts to my volunteer helpers because this will be the last week of school...

And so, to balance out the cute tales from first grade, I thought I would vent about an incident that came up Friday with a parent. I won't cover all the hairy details, but this event in which I made her second grader cry in the lunch room because he was not listening to me and I had to yell at him to get his attention (not to mention he was teasing another girl and making HER cry) culminated in an e-mail in which she apologized but asked "Was he being rude or was he just trying to get his point across (to me)?" Uh HELLO!!! I was raised in an environment in which you absolutely do not talk back to an adult who is telling you to do something, especially in a situation like this one, where the safety of another child is in danger. How could she even ask me that?!? I absolutely despise this new sense of entitlement these stupid parents are giving to their kids, so that if these kids think they are right, they can argue with an ADULT. ARGGGG!!! To me, "just getting his point across" and being "rude" are the same exact thing, at this age. I am so mad that I almost apologized to this woman, admitting that I lost my temper. I guess when I was a kid, I thought my parents were "mean" at times, but now I understand why and I am glad they were. I don't even care now if this kid is afraid of me...I think he deserved a little snap back to reality.

2 comments:

Nana said...

Well, the other "trendy" thing you did Sat. was come and mow your parents lawn and did a fine job of it!!! Thank you. You are a dear. Did I get my point across?!! I just can't believe how some parents are allowing their kids to rule and argue with adults/teachers even. I am sorry you had such "mean" parents but you all turned out very well- respectful of adults and well behaved. It is unfortunate you have to deal with this new thinking about respecting others.

Liz said...

You are so Trendy!!