Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Car Conversations

I have a friend who I used to work with at a daycare who believed in and followed through with telling everybody about her love for Jesus and why it is important to know Him. Even if it cost her her job, she would do it. She told each child at daycare that Jesus loved him/her. And she is also a foster parent and has amazing stories about teaching each of her foster kids about Jesus and bringing their parents away from the abusive and corruptive lifestyles they led in the past towards Christianity. Bryan and I lovingly call her "Evangelical Amber". I have not talked to her recently but still get email updates from her occasionally.

Though I am far from being completely open about my relationship with Christ and my religious convictions in every environment and relationship I am in, I do keep her in mind as a model of sorts. So today when my boys started a conversation in the car about life after death, her name once again came to mind. While her style is a little more straightforward, I prefer asking open-ended/leading questions to get kids thinking. We talked about heaven and while they were not too sure about heaven and what happens after you die, I asked the older boy if he knows about God to which he replied in a well-duh attitude "Well, he made me so of course I know him. Jeesh~!" But then he told me he has "not once in a single time been to church." So I asked him if he knew what Christmas was, and he said "Thats God's birthday." Then I asked him if he knew what Easter was and he replied, "That's the rabbitt's birthday." :-)

No comments: