Sunday, February 3, 2008

Goodbye 'Teggie, Hello Flo Rider




Yesterday Bryan got a new whip (a.k.a. new car). If you know him, this is not news. However, he has been rocking the same beast for almost two years (1st generation Acura Integra, pictured here). Since I knew Bryan before he ever had a license, I have gotten to know his cars and their subsequent duration in his name, and two years is a new record. So, yesterday he got a Honda CRX Car number 9, 10, 11...not sure cause we both have lost count). If you know Bryan, you will also know that we are a Honda family (Acura permitted because it is Honda...thus my future MDX or "Mommy mobile"). I will post pictures later tonight of the whole process, but basically Bryan gutted the Integra of EVERYTHING so that is was basically a shell. In the two years that he had it, he spent a lot of time working on the motor so its name was "Patience" for all the blood, sweat and tears he spent perfecting it into a race car (the car before that, a Civic, was named "Hope" after he attempted to make that a race car but it was a neverending lemon). Bryan took the Integra out to Portland International Raceway once he nearly got it to where he wanted it last summer and ran some pretty good times. He was also featured in a Honda Tuning magazine and is known as the only guy around here who put a something-something into this particular type of car. So after all this, he "traded up" for a car that will perform even better with this particular motor, of which I have no clue what it is called.( its a pretty built gsr motor with tons of type r goodies) Bryan is SUPER excited but I have been called a pessimist because I know he is going to miss the Integra like crazy. But oh well...I will keep you updated on the progress, as he has a timeline for two weeks to have it up and running (which means at least a month.) In the meantime, my Accord is now his and I am back to rocking Mom and Dad's '89 Camry, which has come in handy with its studded tires lately! :-) Right now Bryan is out getting another key made after he so cleverly slung his one and only up on the roof on top of the garage as he was outside on his phone bragging to all of his friends.

So this car deal is one of the many crazy things it feels like are happening in our lives right now. Work is crazy because I had my formal observation, which went really, really well, and we just finished another quarter. So last weekend I had to go in and work on report cards and this past week I began making follow-up phone calls, plus it is the start of a new month and I have to figure out how we are going to celebrate Valentine's Day and the 100th day of school (February 15) which I am not sure why but my kids are SOOOO excited about. On top of this, I had more issues with a mother I call my "problem mother". I thought working in a private school would eliminate this unnecessary stress but I guess the hovering helicopter parents can be anywhere. Another wise mom told me that teaching would be great if it were not for the parents, which I now totally agree with. At least I have 18 other really supportive parents who seem to know their boundaries. And this week is spirit week, which means I can put my boring selection of career clothes on hold and rock my pajamas, '80s garb and LCS spirit clothes! Woo hoo!

My next day off is February 18 and I already have plans: Doctor appointment, creating curtains and selecting plants to decorate our home with, looking for classes I will have to take to keep up my teaching license, and finding better dental insurance for Bryan (major stress). God definately has a sense of humor with the snow thing. Despite wanting to have a Snow day, the only snow that has fallen so far this winter has been on either a weekend day or on report card day, with one measly 2 hour delay on a day with kids. On the plus side, I have also not been sick this whole year except for a minor cold at the beginning of the school year. So, I have truly spent every possible minute with my first graders this year, which has been fun, but come on, who does not enjoy an unplanned day off? A day where you can put aside that list of things to do (which follows me everywhere from school to home) and just RELAX.

So, the snow fell down yesterday morning (a Saturday) and nearly ruined my day of fun planned with my good friend Liz, the one who introduced me and accompanied me on my maiden voyage to IKEA, the land of home designing and decorating goodness. My tip to anyone who has yet to go: do not attempt if you have not had a full night of restful sleep, do not go on a day when it is downpouring and you have to hike a mile from your car to the front door, and ESPECIALLY do not go on the heels of moving into a new apartment, after you have already bought items such as lamps at a rate you thought was decent and now you are broke (moving expenses+Christmas+Spring break airplane ticket= dont even want to think about it), only to find that you could have saved bucos bucks at IKEA. When we do move into a house, I will definately be back for a major overhaul of new furniture. Until then, I am content with buying candles and frames at a super discount rate. I spent $10 and got decos for my wall and a yummy smelling candle. So thanks Liz...it was a day of wonder.

The rest of the weekend was hauling two cars in Brad's truck, eating pizza and watching Mr. Woodcock, going to church, debating and ultimately deciding not to attend a Super Bowl party and instead cooking, cleaning and organizing some more. Fuz is still smelling delicious after his major bath last week, which was decided for him after he starting getting wet food stuck to his fur. This week I built a fort for him out of a drying rack and an afghan which he thoroughly enjoyed, though now I am doing laundry and had to use it to hang my shirts.

Bryan just came in with an early Valentine's gift...such a sweet guy! He got me a rolling Scrapbook carry case (about the size of a carry on) and cardmaking embellishments and a gift certificate to Joanne's to go buy more!!! How cute and attentive he is to my new hobby! Last weekend I went to Michaels and totally became overwhelmed with the variety and the cost of it all, but then I made two greeting cards this week and totally fell in love with making cards!! Now that I think about it, he HAS been asking me a lot of questions, such as when I was looking at a game at Fred Meyer that I wanted and when I was talking to Brad about IPods. He did a really, really good job at surprising me! (Thank you, baby!) He also made reservations for the Portland City Grill for Valentine's Day, which I am looking forward to except for that it is at the top of a skyscraper and I am deathly afraid of elevators...especially long rides! Anyways, he told me not to get him anything but I would feel like too much of a mooch. I don't remember previous years, but are girls expected to get stuff for guys? Hmmm....There is this one book at Barnes and Noble he enjoys...its all about funny pictures of cats with off the wall quotes. We were laughing hysterically at them the other night...hmmm....

Well, to my family and friends, have a great week! I will be attending a scrapbooking/cardmaking class tomorrow night, a baby shower on Tuesday, possibly a Bible study on Wednesday, and an open house for our school on Thursday. Next weekend will hopefully be rest (and making Valentine's day cards:-)) Have a great week!

No comments: