Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Summer is Over...
Tomorrow starts a new year of school. This year I am teaching Second Grade. New faces, new curriculum, new responsibilities. Its always so hard to believe when another "First Day" rolls around.
So, as I look to the future, I will reflect a bit on the past- the past few months, that is. I am wistful for those carefree summer days, but I do have a twinge of excitement for fall approaching!
The end of Spring was marked by the birth of my sister's second daughter and Bryan and my NINTH in the lineup of nieces and nephews. She is a precious baby girl and its hard to imagine our family now without her. Bryan also celebrated his 28th birthday the day after she was born, so we have matching birthdays in the family again! Bryan celebrated this year by taking a road trip with his buddies down to Reno. Instead of joining (or even being invited, being a girl), I worked the first of my three summer jobs, as an assistant to a wedding florist. It was a delightful summer job, that began on weekends during, and hopefully I will get to do one or two more throughout this year.
The school year wrapped up pretty uneventfully. That is, until my Dad ended up in the hospital again with complications due to his failing health and neurological disease. Luckily, I was able to be there at the hospital, and finish cleaning up my classroom in the time in between. Unfortunately, however, I myself ended up in the hospital two weeks later with a herniated disc on Father's Day. No fun. But, this gave me time off from my other part-time summer jobs, for one week at least. That also meant more time to spend with my sister from Idaho and her family, who were down visiting for the week.
My other jobs this summer included one job I did last summer as an assistant in a property management company, and also I tutored for students at a summer camp at my school. I also interviewed and got a job as a private tutor with a company that is just starting, so I actually have not started that job yet, as they have no clients so far.
Bryan and I also celebrated our sixth anniversary with a movie, dinner, and a couples massage. We opted out of any trips this year, as Bryan became solo owner of his shop and did not want to spend time away. I also opted out of a trip this summer because I started a special diet that limits my food intake, and its a fairly spendy program. Twelve weeks later, I am happy to say I am down nearly 35 pounds, and hoping for a few more! The actually day of our anniversary is now shared with my close friend and teaching partner, who was married on June 24 this year!
Bryan and I also decided this year to get tattoos! I chose a design that reflects the resurrection, complete with three crosses and a purple (for royalty) clothe draped over the center cross with vines interconnecting (Jesus is the vine and we are the branches). Bryan opted for a driving scene, taking up his whole calf. It is a windy road with a curvy road sign. Both of our passions, perfectly portrayed (although mine is not visible 95% of the time!).
We also sold our green car, and a month later, found a cheap car that Bryan could easily fix up. This helped with some medical bills he had acquired through his nasal surgery and physical therapy. Then a couple weeks later, I broke my cell phone at a time when we were eligible for upgrades, and we both got sweet new phones! After that, a king size bed was offered to us at no cost. Bryan and I have been battling it out in our little queen size for years, and so this was a much needed upgrade! With the money we saved from buying a new mattress, we were able to buy a whole new furniture set on sale at Ikea for our bedroom, plus a new office desk center, plus a grill for outside! Wow- God totally provides!
We also had mooooore visitors this summer, including an aunt and uncle from North Carolina, my sister and her family from Texas, and an uncle from Bismarck, ND. It was a busy summer and so great to see family! We celebrated my birthday with the local family- I attended a play of one of my former students, then had dinner at Old Spaghetti Factory. After that, we joined friends at the bowling alley and later came back for the fire pit in our backyard. Bryan and I took off the next day for a three day weekend in Bend, which was very relaxing.
The only other trip we took this summer was a one-night camping trip at the beach (Ft. Stevens) with friends. This was also a blast! I love to camp and wish we could do it more often!
Well, I think this brings me up to speed! Its time to get to bed so I have energy for the morning! I will need it!
I pray this fall will bring much more exciting news to share. We are looking forward to celebrating Bryan's second anniversary for his shop, and my oldest and dearest friend is expecting her first baby girl. The busyness of life continues into the new school year...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment