Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Life in a fishbowl

So this analogy was created by my good friend Liz, but Im stealing it for blogging purposes. Last night, after months of begging from Bryan, we entered the world of gym memberships. I always thought they were kindof a stupid idea...that gyms on every corner are all part of the American quest to get things done faster and easier. However, my idea of "natural" ways (walking, biking, Pilates...) for working out obviously have not gotten me very far, and neither has the "mini-me" workout room at our clubhouse. But these ways have great advantages...mostly, they are free and more private. I can sweat anyone under the table and I'm more out of shape than a rubber band, but I prefer people not to witness this. Bryan is all for a gym membership because it means he can play basketball. The selling point for me personally was the hot tub. So we have finally joined the rest of society it seems and I am looking forward to using the familiar line "Well, last night, after I got back from the gym..." just because if I dont LOOK better at least I will sound better. And, to my surprise, I actually have been thinking about it all day and I have even been longing to go back. Its not that I enjoy seeing other people (in fact, I avoided other people's eye contact because I figure if I dont look at them and they dont look at me, and not to mention, there are WAY more guys in there than girls and you know they are not just there to add another ripple to their six pack), but it is nice to be suffering around other people. Truthfully, its the best to be suffering along with someone bigger and sweatier than you within close proximity. And there is also something about the music, the lights, and just the general energy. However, the term "fishbowl" kept running through my head for the whole hour that I was there as that is exactly what it felt like...a bunch of fish surrounded by glass, all doing the same stupid thing...

2 comments:

Liz said...

I am glad it wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be, and that you had a good time, well a good enough time for the gym at least. Can't wait to hear more about it, and I am sure you will have some amazing gym stories for me in the future. Like a cross eyed guy on steriods trying to hit on you...

Nicole said...

I had no idea you are so funny, Michelle! Speaking of fishbowl...our kitchen window is huge and looks right onto the street we live on now. Since there are no curtains or blinds on the window, everyone can see in. At night, with the lights on, I joke that we are in an aquarium. It's a total fishbowl experience.