Tuesday, September 4, 2007

1st Day with Kids

So today was the first day of school. My room was all prepared, and I was mostly prepared with curriculum. I was locked out of the building over the weekend, so I did as much as I could do from home without going insane (literally). Yesterday at 4 I had so much nervous energy that Bryan and I had to leave the apartment! We went to Wunderland, out to dinner, and grocery shopping. This morning the kids came earlier than I expected, but luckily I had everything ready in the nick of time.

The kids are so cute but so clueless! I forgot how you have to spell everything out for kids when they are that young, how you are always tying shoes, and how it could take them up to an hour just to get a pencil out and sharpen it. This morning started out rocky with the barrage of school supplies (I swear they were falling from the ceiling) and families and the feeling that I had the inability to obtain control. Our tour of the school was kicked off with a trip to the cafeteria to drop off the lunch count a half hour late to a very obviously unhappy lunch lady and we had to stop every couple of feet to remember how we walk in the halls (voices off, walking feet, eyes forward...)

Anyways, the day became better as it went along. I remember first grade as being so fun, but I feel bad because I felt today was kindof dry. But I think they did like it. We did a couple of fun (albeit difficult coming off a long summer vacation) activities in the afternoon. I ate lunch with the kids so my first break came about an hour before school let out, when they went to P.E. Tomorrow should be fun...I feel a lot more prepared now (I stayed at school until 7) and we have chapel, too, which will take about another hour out of the day. Im looking forward to it, especially after a night of rest!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I am so excited for you!!! I am sure you did great and I bet the kids just adore you. You are their first grade teacher and they look up to you, which is so rewarding. I want to hear more about it soon. Good Luck with the rest of the week, and maybe someday I can see your classroom.

Talk to you soon dear.

Nana said...

Congrats on surving your first couple days of school!!!! We know you will make a good teacher and one that the little cherubs will always remember (I still remember my first grade teacher!) Don't let any cooks rattle you-that was uncalled for. I would have defended you!!!! What is more important- a lunch count or a friendly loving greeting from the teacher!!!! Love you, Mom