Thursday, September 6, 2007

"...and please, God, let us all be good tomorrow and get green cards. Amen."

Today was a definite turning point. Ever since starting last week at my Christian school, I have been struggling with whether or not I am spiritual enough and am a "true" Christian. Praying out loud has proven to be dizzying and downright scary, and now today I found out I have (get) to lead a devotional at a staff meeting. So this morning I did something I had not done all week, because of my own need to feel in control, and I prayed to God. All the stress I had been carrying this week seemed lifted as the day went on and I realized how stupid I was for not praying and having a real talk with God before. I realized he could take care of these things, that being a teacher and dealing with all the stress of being pulled in 17 little directions was not above Him. And then, to top it off, I heard Him talking to me today through a little boy. This boy is the cutest thing ever. He is the smallest boy in the class and otherwise shy until he gets a Bible in his lap. I struggled with knowing how to start devotional time with my 1st graders, especially after realizing they dont know how to find a book in the Bible, a chapter and a verse, even though a Bible was on their school supply list. This boy has it down and he would find a verse, just exactly the right verse I was looking for to lead discussion, and he would raise his little hand and read the verse perfectly outloud. A few minutes later, when I would want to lead our discussion in another direction, he had the perfect verse to get us started. And every time we came back to circle the rest of the day, he brought his Bible! It was so perfect. And at the end of the day, his female counterpart led us in a prayer to God, thanking him for the wonderful day and asking Him that he would let everyone get a green card totomorrow (or otherwsie not get in trouble!) It was so cute I almost started to cry!

Another blessing today has been getting reacquainted with people I have been wondering about and thinking about. Not that I had anything to do with it, but they all got in touch with me today through e-mail, myspace or by coincidence, so I am extremely thankful for that as each of them has traveled a long road and I feel God has reminded me to pray for them as well.

Okay...off to the gym for another workout! Woo hoo (not)!

1 comment:

Liz said...

This is so cute!!! I love the way children think and what they hold onto for life to make sense.