So today was my last day being a nanny for awhile. I think if nothing else major comes up next summer, I will go to nanny for these two little boys again. They seem to like me and want me to come back, but most of all just for the reward their parents give them at the end of the summer for good behavior :-)(A.K.A. an $80 trip to the LEGO store) We went a lot of places together ( a new adventure each day!) and had a lot of good discussions. I introduced them to Jesus and God and their favorite stories are Jonah and the Whale, Noah's Ark, and David and Goliath. They now know that Jesus lives in their heart and can't believe their friends don't know that and don't believe in Him.
Two such friends of theirs I met yesterday when I hosted a playdate. The original idea was for them to be there from 10-2 p.m, and MAYBE til 3. This was fine. Originally, it was only to be one friend but the mother asked if the littler brother could come too (I should have guessed it from here).I had plans to take the boys to the fountains when their little friends returned home, so it was looking to be a fine, relaxing day. Plus, I had hosted splendid playdates with their little cousins before so I had no doubts. The mom dropped them off a half hour late and dropped in the little fact that it may be closer to 4, because she had to get ready for Sunriver. This was looking to cut our trip to the fountains short, but as long as my two boys were happy, I would be happy.
AT 4:50 (!!!!) the doorbell rings TWICE and in marches Mom in some bicycle racing get-up and she informs me she has to be down at Club Sport in 15 minutes. (Are we missing a "Hi! How are you?" or "Thanks so much for watching my boys" or even "Sorry Im late...I probably should have called." ???)She did manage to ask me how her kids did, though I dont think she heard me as she made a beeline to the back door where her kids and mine were getting tired of playing together(I sent them outside for fear their restlessness would tear the house up). Instead of asking me first, she asks her kids if they want to come with her now (but she was in a HURRY) or wait for DADDY. Of course they want to stay, so then she turns to make sure this was okay with me. What was I supposed to say now that she has her kids all revved up? So she tells me she needs the house number and that is all she needs and she impatiently waits while I check my file. As she storms back out the door, I ask her when she thinks this Daddy is supposed to arrive and she yapps back at me 10 or 15 more minutes.
ONE HOUR LATER...after experiencing numerous meltdowns, complaints and pleas to come back inside, the mom to my boys returns and is surprised that I still have these other two kids and have had them for the past 7 hours, which is nearly twice as long as originally intended. This has no longer turned into a playdate. Playdates are supposed to be arranged ahead of time, with the allotted timeslot respected, and should not be a free babysitting service to parents who have busy lives and apparently dont give a crap about their kids or view them as an inconvenience. Im sorry, lady, had I known when you were to really arrive, I would have had them packed and sitting on the curb! But whatever...so then finally Daddy arrives 5 minutes later and the littlest boy is having a perfect meltdown as a welcome. Instead of thanking me he thanks the mom for arranging this, and pays no mind to me whatsoever, the person who has fed and watched over your kids and tried to maintain sanity all day long. So let this serve as a warning to you if you are a parent or a nanny: RESPECT the PLAYDATE! Make sure both sides are clear and be appreciative but do not take advantage!
Friday, August 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
what a horrible experience, and what a horrible parent. She should not have taken advantage of you like she did. I'm sorry your last day with the kids ended on a sour note.
This story still cracks me up and amazes me. Parents can be so insane and out of tune sometimes, it's sad. Those poor kids, and as for you I feel every word you wrote. I am sorry you were taken advantage of like that. Stories like these make being a nanny fun along with the fun things the kids do and say. You just have to laugh them off.
Post a Comment